Skip to main content

March-Irish Recipes

I would like to share with you some easy Irish recipes this month. Yes I am Irish! My great great Grandmother came from Ireland. I would love to one day visit.

Irish Soda Bread

2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of cold vegetable shortening
1 egg beaten
1 cup of buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mix well.
Cut the butter and shortening into small pieces and add to the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add the egg and buttermilk and mix into the flour mixture until its mixed well.
Place dough on a floured surface and knead gently until the dough is a smooth ball.
Place loaf on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Cook in the oven for 40-45 mins until golden brown.

This recipe was given to me from a nice Irish lady.
Enjoy

Comments

Anonymous said…
What happened to the Raisins? I like it so much better with raisins. Thanks for the recipe. I think I will make it but of course add the raisins.

Becca

Please visit me at http://www.askbecca.com