Skip to main content

Peach jam Tuesday!

Don't you wonder sometimes what life is like in other bloggers life? I mean I bet alot of them are probably asleep right now all snuggled in nice soft cool pillows. Not me, I am up because I just about burned down my kitchen! OK it was really not that bad, give me a few minutes to explain my off day!

Lately I have been working really hard to keep my blog up to date, but life  happens and even the best laid plans don't always work out like you had hoped!

Around 9:30 tonight,  I was on the computer playing farm ville ( yep I am crazy and addicted and yes I was really supposed to be blogging).  I was really enjoying myself,  when hubby came in the room and said, "Honey did you get to make peach jelly today?  I can't seem to find it".  It then occurred to me, I goofed off with my sister and daughter today and forgot about the peaches, which were now not looking as spry as they did last night when I first picked them.

SO... I made peach jelly, seven glorious pint sized jars, but while I was stirring waiting for my peaches to start the final boiling, a tiny drop of jam popped out, then another, suddenly I had a lovely fire on my stove! It was amazing I usually would have panicked, but I calmly looked through the cabinets trying to remember what was I was told to put on a kitchen fire, in the mean time my fire grew, OK I was bad, I put water on it and thankfully it went out. I had a horrible mess on my stove, but no harm to anything else so I went on with making my peach jelly.

My kitchen was a smoky smelly mess, but I was so glad I had  removed the peaches from the stove before my fire. It would have been nice if the kitchen had smelled of peach jam. but like I said not all best laid plans will always work out like you would like!

Its almost 11 now and I look at my 7 jars of peach jelly, I realize I have learned a very valuable lesson. The next time I pick peaches or any fruit I will not procrastinate and then have to rush around at 10:00 o'clock at night trying to make jam and almost burn down the kitchen!

If you want to make some quick peach jam, next time you go the store pick up some Sure Jell.  Simply follow the directions. Make sure you have all your equipment ready to use. Its easier if you have the amount of sugar you need already poured up in a bowl so when your fruit is boiling you can add it quickly. If  you do not have a canner, you can also use a big sauce or soup pot and boil your jars. http://brands.kraftfoods.com/SureJell


SURE.JELL® Peach Jelly

3-1/2 cups prepared juice (buy about 6 lb. fully ripe peaches)


1-1/2 cups water


1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin


1/2 tsp. butter or margarine


4-1/2 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl


BRING boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.


PIT unpeeled peaches. Finely chop or grind fruit. Place in saucepot; add water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 min., stirring occasionally. Place 3 layers of damp cheesecloth or jelly bag in large bowl. Pour prepared fruit into cheesecloth. Tie cheesecloth closed; hang and let drip into bowl until dripping stops. Press gently. Measure exactly 3-1/2 cups juice into 6- or 8-qt. saucepot. (If necessary, add up to 1/2 cup water to get exact measure.)


STIR pectin into prepared fruit in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.


LADLE immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 5 min. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

Most importantly make sure you know all the safety rules for fires in a kitchen and  keep them in a place you can get to quickly in case you have a kitchen fire.  http://www.ehow.com/how_114403_kitchen-fire.html

Go make some Peach Jelly and I hope you have a great Tuesday!

Comments