It's raining outside and you are in need of a great comfort food. What better comfort food than Mac and Cheese!
photo credit: tasteofhome.com
Again I have to exclaim about my favorite cooking magazine, Taste of Home. My nephew gives me a subscription every year for Christmas and I have to admit I really look forward to it, but sometimes it does present a problem, what to do with all the old issues? I don't have the heart to throw them out, so I keep them the ones I loved the most and donate the rest to the local thrift store, but on the positive side, I always have a wonderful selection of recipes very close by to choose from. Enjoy the Mac and cheese. It only cost .92 cents per serving!
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in the sour cream, process cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni; toss with cheddar cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in cream sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Credit: recipe from tasteofhome.com