Skip to main content

Chocolate Cake

I received this recipe from Jean a co-worker, her Grandmother passed it down. It's from the Depression era. You will notice it does not include eggs. Its really good! Thanks Jean for passing it on. Enjoy.

Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3 T. cocoa
1/2 t salt
1/3 cup oil
1 cup cold water
1 T vinegar
1 t baking soda
1 t vanilla

Mix all ingredients. May melt shortening for oil. ( if no baking soda, may use baking powder, no vinegar)

Bake greased 12 x 8 cake pan until toothpick comes out clean -approximately 20 minutes at 350.

Icing
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 margarine
2 t vanilla

Mix and boil for 1 minute. Cool , add vanilla. Pour on cake.

Comments

Cee Tindall said…
This recipe has the same ingredients that make the 'wacky cake' my mom used to bake for us. It was mixed right in the pan. The icing sounds delicious! I'll try it next time I make that cake.
Well take my word for it is really good. Its a chocolate's lovers dream! Let me know how you like it! Thanks for coming by to visit!