- cups cubed (1-inch) pumpernickel or rye bread
- tablespoons butter, melted
- teaspoon caraway seed
- tablespoons butter
- large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- medium stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
- teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- carton (32 oz) Progresso™ beef flavored broth (4 cups)
- small red potatoes, unpeeled, quartered (about 3 cups)
- lb cooked corned beef, cut into 2-inch strips (2 cups)
- cup refrigerated sauerkraut, drained
- teaspoon salt
- Shredded Swiss cheese and Thousand Island dressing, if desired
- 1 Heat oven to 375°F. In medium bowl, mix Crouton ingredients until bread is well coated. Spread in ungreased 15x10x1-inch pan. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
- 2 Meanwhile, in 5-quart Dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Stir in beef broth and potatoes. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with fork. Stir in corned beef, sauerkraut and salt. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- 3 Serve soup topped with croutons and Swiss cheese. Drizzle with Thousand Island dressing.