Skip to main content

Merry Christmas!!

My hubby makes coffee cakes for friends, neighbors and family. I believe he has made 12 thus far, well he has always made them every year for Christmas presents.
It was 5 years ago when he taught Lauren how to make cakes. Mom (Me) was always working, they would make them when Lauren was out of school.( Jeff always took vacation with Lauren when school was out for the holidays, medical profession doesnt always allow vacation then), Anyway it became tradition for them to make the coffee cakes. Then a new tradition started, we would all deliver coffee cakes on Christmas Eve right at dusk.
Well... you already know where this story is going...Yep, his job is keeping him busy this year and Lauren is working doubles at Ruby Tuesday's, so I stood up and said I will make them!
I have made 7 so far and have about 15 to go! WOW!!
I think I am making coffee cakes in my sleep.
Even at this minute I am waiting for one to come out of the oven.
So I know the recipe!!! My Christmas Present to you in Internet land! Merry Christmas and Enjoy!

Coffee Cake

First you take two sticks of butter and let them soften in a large bowl, then add 2 cups sugar and mix well until you have a fine buttery mix, make sure sugar is all mixed in well.

Add 2 eggs.
Add 1/4 baking powder,
then 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, make sure the eggs are mixed well.

Then add 8 oz container of sour cream, make sure its mix well.
Add 2 cups of flour and mix well.

Topping
1 cup crushed pecans (finely chopped)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (this topping is good for several cakes)

Take your Angel food cake pans (the kind that comes in two parts), Make sure pans are well buttered half way up the pan, make sure you don't forget the middle section, make sure the second pan is buttered well also, add flour to pan and shake until the pan is lightly covered.

Its now time to add half of the batter, then add three spoons of topping, then add the rest of the batter on top of this and lightly coat with topping.

Bake 350 for one hour.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me. After the cake is cooled you can wrap it up in alum foil and freeze if you like. Once you want to use it just bring it to room temp.

This cake is rich, sweet and goes great with a cup of coffee on Christmas morning or this is what our neighbors tell us!

Jeff and I have been married now for 9 years and every year cakes have been distributed to neighbors and they have told us they look forward to our coffee cakes.

So now I hope this cake will become part of your Christmas Tradition!

Before you go let me share a sweet story with you!

My neighborhood is really super, we live out away from each other, we have 3 acres, but every year on Christmas Eve our neighbor behind us starts the delivery of Christmas goodies, he leaves Fireside Coffee, then one will leave divinity, fudge, peanut brittle and then we drop off the coffee cakes. Funny eveyone is out delivering and when we all get home we have a glorious treasure of goodies on our porchs or side porchs. To me this is what Christmas is all about giving to one another, this is the best feeling, which makes you feel very warm and fuzzy inside.
Hoping this Christmas coffee cake will bring you wonderful memories as it has us.

I wish each and everyone of you the Merriest of Christmas and especially safe travel grace as each of you travel the roads to families and friends. Merry Christmas!

Comments

Katy ~ said…
Wow! That's a lot of coffee cake.

Sour cream coffee cake is such a delight. I'm sure your recipients are most grateful for this heartfelt and thoughtful gift.
what a wonderful tradition, and I sure bet it is appreciated Christmas morning

Love these stories!
I hope it is... they always request another one next year, so this is good! Both of ya have a wonderful Merry Christmas!