- 2 pounds russet (baking) or red potatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- Peel potatoes and cut into 2-inch pieces. (If using red potatoes, it is not necessary to peel them).
- In a large heavy saucepan simmer potatoes in salted water to cover by 1 inch 10 minutes, or until tender, and drain in a colander. In pan or bowl combine potatoes, butter, and 3/4 cup milk.
- With a potato masher mash potatoes until smooth, adding more milk if necessary to make creamy. In pan reheat potatoes over moderately low heat, stirring, and season with salt and pepper.